Tuesday, September 12, 2017
Police said the child strayed beyond safety barriers and was swallowed up by the pit, plunging into boiling hot mud at the Solfatara Crater in Pozzuoli, part of a huge volcanic area known as the Campi Flegrei or Phlegrean Fields.
His father, 45, reportedly rushed to his rescue but also fell into the sink-hole. The boy’s mother, 42, then went to their aid, but she too was swallowed by the pit. All three died, overcome by the mud and sulphurous gases.
Don't get swallowed up by boiling hot mud pits.